Lang Shining is the Chinese name of the Italian Giuseppe Castiglione, a native of Milan who entered the Jesuit priesthood at the age of 19, taking up the study of painting and architecture. At 27 he journeyed to China as a missionary and served the Qing court. He excelled at Western techniques to render subjects. On a gentle slope where rose bushes bloom are two pairs of red-crested cranes, one adult and the other chicks. An adult stands on one leg and careens its neck to preen its feathers while the other looks back and down at the two chicks who have yet to molt, as if responding to and taking care of them. The rendering of the cranes’ feathers is very realistic and true to life, not just in the details but also the glossy luster. This treatment of sheen further characterizes the plants shown here, too, with the rose and iris blossoms rendered with equal attention to detail. The theme of crane chicks was not previously common in Chinese painting, but the Ch’ien-lung Emperor once wrote a verse on the subject: “Not until crane chicks come out of their shells, can they thus reach to the skies.” Perhaps the upright position of the chicks in this painting was meant to echo the emperor’s sentiments.
The creativity of this item is inspired by National Palace Museum's collection, "Paired Cranes in the Shade with Flowers, Giuseppe Castiglione".
The picture has gone through high resolution image processing and professional color management, and been printed on the high-quality art paper to reproduce the original warm texture and delicate colors.
Each item comes with National Palace Museum's security label in order to confirm the product quality and authorization.
Appendix : Detailed Product Information
1. This product has been authorized by National Palace Museum. Unauthorized reproduction will be prosecuted.
2. Oversea shipping costs vary differently due to factors such as destination and volume of goods to be shipped. Therefore, the freight shall be taken care of by the buyers and please accept our apology for any inconvenience that caused.
3. In order to protect your rights and interests, please confirm if the received item and quantity are correct. Please also confirm if there are any defects on the product and packaging.
4. The color of webpage image is slightly different from actual product due to lighting conditions during photo shoot and different display settings. Hence, the image is for reference only. Actual color should be subject to the product received.
5. As of returns and exchanges, please ensure the product is in a completely new condition and with complete packaging (including product, accessories, accompanying documents, and gifts, etc).
6. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more on how the product is used or if you have any questions about the product.