Giuseppe Catiglione was a native of Italy. At the age of 19 he entered the Jesuit order as a novitiate and studied oil painting and architecture. In 1715, at 27 years of age, he was sent to China. Taking the Chinese name Lang Shih-ning, he served as a court painter from the Kang-hsi era (1662–1722) to the Ch'ien-lung era (1736–1795). He excelled at painting figures and birds-and-flowers, especially dogs and horses. In his painting style, he introduced Western modes of chiaroscuro and perspective into the Chinese art tradition. He also used Western materials in painting. As a result, his works are characterized by rich colors and realistic appearances. This painting is one of the ten hanging scrolls depicting imperial hounds, the one here named "Ju-huang-pao (Yellow Panther). "In the Ch'ing court, ministers and officers presented famous hunting dogs to the emperor, and Lang Shih-ning was commissioned to paint a portrait of each of the "Ten Outstanding Hunting Dogs. "Ju-huang-pao was presented by the Manchu official San Ho. In a scene of pawlonia trees and pomegranate flowers, the hunting dog hesitates slightly on a mountain path, raising his head and looking backwards, while above a magpie lowers its head and cries noisily. The dog's coat is gorgeous, and his appearance most lifelike.
The picture has gone through high resolution image processing and professional color management, and been printed on the high-quality art paper to reproduce the original warm texture and delicate colors.
Each item comes with detailed product information in Chinese, English and Japanese. Customers of different countries can better understand the features and introduction of the products.
Each item comes with National Palace Museum's security label in order to confirm the product quality and authorization.
Appendix : Detailed Product Information
1. This product has been authorized by National Palace Museum. Unauthorized reproduction will be prosecuted.
2. Oversea shipping costs vary differently due to factors such as destination and volume of goods to be shipped. Therefore, the freight shall be taken care of by the buyers and please accept our apology for any inconvenience that caused.
3. In order to protect your rights and interests, please confirm if the received item and quantity are correct. Please also confirm if there are any defects on the product and packaging.
4. The color of webpage image is slightly different from actual product due to lighting conditions during photo shoot and different display settings. Hence, the image is for reference only. Actual color should be subject to the product received.
5. As of returns and exchanges, please ensure the product is in a completely new condition and with complete packaging (including product, accessories, accompanying documents, and gifts, etc).
6. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more on how the product is used or if you have any questions about the product.