Wen Cheng-ming (1470-1559) was a native of Ch’ang-chou, Kiangsu. His given name was Pi, his style name was Cheng-ming, and his sobriquets were T’ing-yün-sheng and Heng-shan chü-shih. He was known by his style name in later years. An accomplished poet, writer, painter, and calligrapher, he is known along with Shen Chou (1427-1509), T’ang Yin (1470-1523), and Ch’iu Ying (ca. 1494-1552) as one of the Four Masters of the Ming Dynasty. When Wen first started writing calligraphy, he studied the calligraphy of the Sung (960-1279) and Yüan (1279-1368) dynasties. His later calligraphy followed styles of the Chin (265-420) and T’ang (618-907) dynasties. Any script which Wen chose to write was exquisite. The brush method used in this work seems to hold an inner strength, and its spirit seems to exude from the characters, creating a radiant and luminous style. According to an inscription on the end of this scroll, this work was executed when Wen was eighty-nine. The brushstrokes of this fine work, however, are still vigorous, without any hint of hesitation or lack of concentration.
The creativity of this item is inspired by National Palace Museum's collection, "Preface to the Orchid Pavilion, Wen Zhengming, Ming Dynasty".
The picture has gone through high resolution image processing and professional color management, and been printed on the high-quality art paper to reproduce the original warm texture and delicate colors.
Each item comes with National Palace Museum's security label in order to confirm the product quality and authorization.
Appendix : Detailed Product Information
1. This product has been authorized by National Palace Museum. Unauthorized reproduction will be prosecuted.
2. Oversea shipping costs vary differently due to factors such as destination and volume of goods to be shipped. Therefore, the freight shall be taken care of by the buyers and please accept our apology for any inconvenience that caused.
3. In order to protect your rights and interests, please confirm if the received item and quantity are correct. Please also confirm if there are any defects on the product and packaging.
4. The color of webpage image is slightly different from actual product due to lighting conditions during photo shoot and different display settings. Hence, the image is for reference only. Actual color should be subject to the product received.
5. As of returns and exchanges, please ensure the product is in a completely new condition and with complete packaging (including product, accessories, accompanying documents, and gifts, etc).
6. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to know more on how the product is used or if you have any questions about the product.